Friday, August 6, 2010

Don't wake the baby

There's nothing like having a baby fall asleep in your arms.  As sleep overcomes them and they release wakefulness, they release control.  There's so much we can learn from that.  They tell you that they trust you and feel safe in your arms.  They know you're going to protect them.  They want nothing more but to feel your heartbeat as you feel theirs.  All is right in the world.  Why do we as adults forget the importance of trust and replace it with the false importance of control?  Why do we value the individual while diminishing each other...diminishing community?  Why do we obsess about the next best thing when the only best thing is right here and now?
Today for Q's nap I went through our normal routine.  Instead of immediately drifting off as he so loves to do, he lay in my arms and gazed into my eyes.  Even though I can't express it yet, I have much to learn from him.  And even though he can't say it yet, I know he loves me.    
  

0 comments:

Post a Comment